Friday, May 6, 2011

To Friends in Salem and greater Boston


It was almost exactly four months ago that Jim came home and told me about a phone call he had received from a colleague in Seattle, informing him of an impending job opening, the one that Jim would be offered a couple of months later. What an emotional whirlwind it has been for the both of us: exciting and scary, and rather sad, too.

It took a while for Jim and I to convince each other that this could be the right move. He would regularly ask me, “Are we crazy to consider doing this?” and I would respond, “What a silly question; of course we are.” In truth, the only thing really holding us back was the thought of having to leave the incredibly loving and supportive circle of friends and family that has developed around us through the years. Once the decision to accept the offer was made, we dreaded the challenge of telling everyone. But even through your own sorrow, you have been fantastically affirming of our choice to look westward for the next chapter in our lives, as evidenced by the wonderful and moving send-off you gave us last Sunday.

On the night in early April when Jim and I “ambushed” many of you with our news, I pointed out to a few of you a small drawing I have kept displayed for many years. It depicts an old sailing vessel with bears a caption that reads “a ship is safe in a harbor, but that’s not what a ship is for.” I keep that around to remind myself to avoid complacency  and have considered it often during the past few weeks, realizing that the time may soon come for my ship to sail, and for Jim and I to leave the comfort zone of our beloved community. Now we are pulling up anchor, and I am so thankful to live in an age in which geography cannot separate us in the way it once would have. We will be back east as regularly as our schedule (and finances) allow, and we hope you will be out to visit us as often as you are able. For the in-between times, we have the “miracles” of modern communications technology to preserve our bonds.

So as we learn in French 101, this is not “adieu” but “au revoir.” And may the times we do meet again be early and often.

Love you all,

Jim S

PS - Forward this to anyone you feel appropriate. 

3 comments:

  1. I like this blog idea. A good way to keep us updated with your whereabouts. Nice job Jim and be safe traveling ;-) Coco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the left coast! I'll be up to visit before too long - it seems more and more of my friends are moving there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your journey!
    Linda J.

    ReplyDelete